Creative, innovative, looking for the right environment to thrive. Sure, you have the experience and skills to shine – but more importantly, you’re a competent learner who works well in an agile environment. In short, you’re looking for a meaningful role, working to improve the lives of others.
Product Design Engineers are responsible for the development of new innovative solutions, with an eye toward a product line deployment. PDEs research and develop a vision and pragmatic path to develop solutions. As well, they work to improve the performance and design of existing products, overseeing production and packaging of final products. PDEs work with the Product Marketing Manager (PMM) team and the Project Management Office (PMO). The position involves frequent internal and external collaboration in all stages of design.
The Product Engineer shall act as the principal liaison between the business and technical teams to assist in the mapping and alignment of desirable market-driven functionality into the associated technical requirements and capabilities of current and future digital products and services. The Product Engineer will work with Interoperability Institute Research and Development team and vendor partners to allocate resources and align priorities to ensure that the Institute’s objectives are achieved for product builds, risks are managed and resources are used responsibly, and that all product development is delivered on schedule, within budget, and with working code which meets requirements and is built according to industry best practices.
Product Engineer will be a champion of open standards and current technical methodologies and will be responsible for creating a culture that empowers people to make decisions and collaborate across the organization to create better products, accelerate time to market, respond faster to changing priorities, increase productivity and enhance quality.
Strong technical skill and experience with engineering design principals is a must.
This is a full-time position where days and hours can vary Monday through Friday, 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
Duties and responsibilities
Primary job duties and responsibilities:
- Manage and lead the engineering of the end-to-end product development process, including making key product roadmap decisions and building, launching, and operationalizing digital products that meet key features as provided by the Product Marketing Manager.
- Create and effectively champion a data-driven and market-informed product vision and strategy which works in concert with the greater MiHIN affiliate strategy. Identify the engineering requirements, strategy for product implementations.
- Manage the end-to-end lifecycle of complex products from conception through launch. Strategize and execute on growth initiatives in operating production products.
- Develop the technical specification for product features and release roadmap based on Product Marketing Manager business targets, in-depth data analysis, and a clear understanding of engineering requirements.
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and influencing skills.
- Manage relationships with key partners and stakeholders.
- Track record of success in the full lifecycle of product management, including product vision and roadmaps, writing exceptional Product Requirement Documents and delivering high visibility and complex products on time.
- Develop and measure product Key Performance Indicators (KPI) used to derive key product engineering insights, drive reporting tools, and devise and execute quality assurance experiments and multivariate tests for product solutions.
- Promote cross-team and cross-organizational knowledge sharing through multiple forums (e.g., user groups, Product Management, Research and Development, Marketing, and Operations).
- Serve as the translator between the business requirements and the creation and validation of the technology requirements.
- Help ensure new projects are scoped appropriately and ensure adequate resource assignment, realistic schedules, and accurate budget estimates at the start of the effort
- Responsible for analyzing and challenging technical architect approaches, data mapping, resolution of technical issues to ensure adequacy to fulfill Use Case requirements that meet client expectations
- Other duties as assigned
- 7 + years working in a professional software development organization with a focus on healthcare as a software developer
- Demonstrated ability to thrive on solving problems, encourage product research, development and adoption to improve digital services functionality based on Produce Marketing Manager feedback
- Demonstrated ability to connect strategic opportunities to functional requirements and then translate them into technical engineering specifications
- Hands-on experience with contemporary agile software development methods
- Sufficient technical depth to review code, challenge technical architectural approaches, and delve into complex technical issues
- Clear, concise, and persuasive communication style that compels action
- Ability to lead a high performing, cross-functional teams
- History of developing and growing development talent through challenging situations
- Experience managing priorities with third-party vendors and key partners. Comfortable making build versus buy recommendations based on industry knowledge
- Ability to provide clear direction, set measurable goals, and give insight on industry trends
- History of making challenging trade-offs in establishing product priorities through challenging negotiations
- Strong engineering management skills and ability to present work to executive stakeholders
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
- Demonstrated ability to achieve stretch goals
- Experience with the development of customer-facing digital services
- 5+ years of related experience required engineering the design of digital products
- Bachelor's degree in business management and computer science or a related discipline or equivalent work experience required
- Master degree in computer or data science or equivalent experience preferred
May supervise an intern.
At MiHIN, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer who recognizes that our diversity is our greatest strength. We draw on the differences in who we are, what we've experienced, and how we think to best serve our stakeholders and our communities.
Because our family of companies serve everyone, we believe in including everyone. This means we strive to hire qualified employees that are diverse in thinking and in race, gender, gender identity and/or gender expression, age, religion or belief, sexual orientation, physical, mental, or sensory disability, citizenship, family or partnership status, socio-economic upbringing, and more.
We believe diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.