Cloud Operations Engineer
The Michigan Health Information Network Shared Services (MiHIN) is looking for a Cloud Operations Engineer to join our Cloud Operations & Infrastructure Support department. The Cloud Operations Engineer, Sr. is an integral member of the MiHIN team, providing day-to-day support and expertise to the department. This position supports team members from other departments to ensure consistency, enterprise workflows are followed. This position also assists the Senior Director of Cloud Operations & Infrastructure Support with regular reporting, monitoring, follow up and coordination of the status of team-assigned tickets from internal and external stakeholders to ensure timely responsiveness to break/fix and other requests for service within Service Level Agreements and target turnaround times. The Cloud Operations Engineer also deploys software packages to pre-production and production environments, while also providing support and monitoring for on-premise networking, infrastructure, end-user devices, and cloud-based systems.
This is a full-time position where days and hours can vary.
Duties and responsibilities
Primary job duties and responsibilities:
- Deploys packages and patches to pre-production and production environments.
- Recommends, schedules, and performs software and hardware improvements, upgrades, patches, reconfigurations, and/or purchases
- Utilizes working knowledge of servers, Linux, Windows, and applications to provide technical guidance for support and implementation issues
- Manages the administration of Identity and Access Management accounts including AWS, Active Directory, remote access, etc.
- Monitor performance and troubleshoot problem areas as needed; monitor logs, perform computer and network forensics
- Documents installations, providing in-depth triage for support issues
- Contributes to the development of policies, procedures, and standards
- Manage MiHIN help desk tickets and issues to resolution
- Support MiHIN infrastructure equipment and SaaS solutions
- Manage office network, access points, switches, firewalls
- Assists Security team with auditing of numerous systems
- Identify and understand issues, problems, and opportunities; compare data from different sources to draw conclusions
- Create and maintain documentation for network configuration, network mapping, processes, and service records
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures; coordinate and communicate with impacted parties
- Apply OS and application patches and upgrades regularly
- Mentors team members
- Provides architectural review and design for projects or initiatives within the department or across the organization.
- Participate in after-hours on-call rotation and after-hours maintenance window activities as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- 5+ Years of IT/IS experience
- Bachelors in an IT/IS discipline or equivalent applicable experience
- AWS cloud console management, AMI deployment, S3, EC2, RDS, and EBS experience
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Strong focus on execution and delivery with the ability to make recommendations and mitigate timeline risks
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills are required; confidence to participate in planning sessions that outline IT solutions that reach business goals
- Detailed knowledge of systems support – administration, configuration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, security, and general maintenance of cloud-based platforms
- Experience supporting Linux and Windows operating systems
- Proficient in ticketing and change management software
- Patching and software deployment across numerous systems
- Wireless networks, Firewall, and VPN management
- Experience gathering requirements from the client/business and providing clear documentation
- Self-starter, resourceful (independently seeks and finds resources, information, knowledge, and/or tools to complete tasks as needed)
- Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, and meets attendance/punctuality requirements
- Excels at identifying, analyzing, organizing, and solving issues and problems
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite
- Experience with CI/CD platforms (e.g. Jenkins)
- Experience administering Atlassian products
- Terraform experience
- Bash or Shell scripting experience
- Network troubleshooting ability
- Ability to write SQL queries
- Backup and recovery strategies and technologies
- Network and security concepts and technologies
- AWS Cloud Practitioner, SysOps Administrator, Solutions Architect Certifications
- Understanding of healthcare and HIPAA requirements
- HL7 and LLP experience
At MiHIN, we are an Equal Opportunity Employer who recognizes that our diversity is our greatest strength. We draw on the differences in who we are, what we've experienced, and how we think to best serve our stakeholders and our communities.
Because our family of companies serve everyone, we believe in including everyone. This means we strive to hire qualified employees that are diverse in thinking and in race, gender, gender identity and/or gender expression, age, religion or belief, sexual orientation, physical, mental, or sensory disability, citizenship, family or partnership status, socio-economic upbringing, and more.
We believe diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.